UNESCO intangible cultural heritage
To be included on the World Heritage List, sites must be of outstanding universal value. Meet Iran’s most breath taking sites.
Memory of the world is a UNESCO program aiming at preservation and dissemination of valuable archive holdings and library collections worldwide. Six exquisite Iranian manuscripts, namely, the Shahnameh Bayasonghori and Rab I-Rashidi endowment were registered in UNESCO memory of the world list.
Radif of Iranian music in 2009.
2. Novruz, Nowrouz, Nooruz, Navruz, Nauroz, Nevruz new year festival in 2009.
3. Traditional skills of carpet weaving of Kashan in 2010.
4. Traditional skills of carpet weaving of Fars in 2010.
5. Ritual dramatic art of Ta‘zīye in 2010.
6. Pahlevani and Zoorkhanei rituals in 2010.
7. Music of the Bakhshis of Khorasan in 2010.
8. Naqqāli, Iranian dramatic story-telling in 2011.
9. Traditional skills of building and sailing Iranian Lenj boats in the Persian Gulf in 2011.
10. Qālišuyān rituals of Mašhad-e Ardehāl Kashan in 2012.
Heritage for All Humanity
IRAN is a vast land with a long history of civilization and remarkable contributions to the entirety of human civilization. In a span of several thousand years, monuments were made that would make us stand in solemnity and wonder, watching for hours and hours, many of such wondrous monuments have been created in Iran. In 1979, Iran joined the UNESCO world heritage convention – three years after its adoption in 1972. IRAN, registered 19 monuments in UNESCO world heritage. Six Iranian manuscripts are also nominated for registration in UNESCO memory of the world list.